Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's one of those embarrassing 'aha's that hit me. You know, the thing everyone else sees as obvious, but you miss because you're breathing it? For me, the obvious thing is that I am rolling in creative clover.

We have an art supply store. We have a yarn shop here too. I am in a loving and supportive relationship with my husband who regularly encourages me to play. I have time and spaces available for my play. And I have no constraints (clients, designers, specs, whatever) on how I do the creating.

It doesn't get much better than this.

For me, listing what we have right now is a figure/ground shift. I have been warding off attacks from conventional viewers and creators, the mainstream of what is "art." We have been in economic uncertainty with the shop for a long time now. These external influences had colored my perceptions to the point of blacking out the general background that now makes me jealous of myself. The background has come to the fore.

In this new perception's light, my painting is taking on new light as well. I am free! I have materials with which to play. I will play.

1 comments:

Dianne said...

Hi Charlie, I have been wondering what sort of shop you and your husband run, wow, you are surrounded by creative materials.
I can so identify with what you are saying about your creative space. I think our creative voice is a highly sensitive one, it can be battered by all sorts of extraneous trends. The creative path can be quite a lonely one, its very essence sets you apart because you are doing something unique, you are not running with the crowd and blending in. I recently exhibited my experimental work in a group exhibition and I was at first horrified at how my work stood out and was completely different from anything else there. I felt incredibly exposed, I wrote about it in a posting if you have the time to visit my blog.
Happy painting!