Thursday, October 16, 2008


This is a finished painting "Listening" which is hung over a sculpture my dad just finished for me title "Limu" (Hawaiian seaweed.) It's fitting that my father/harshest critic/fan/medici has stretched to a work of semi-abstraction and given it to me.


This is a new favorite I just started (mentioned in the previous post as delicious greys). I've titled it "Tales from the Alhambra" since I just finished reading the book and this underpainting and initial sketch seemed very Moorish.

Two of four paintings re-created out of a larger work that I vivisected and am now finishing with a breath of a sine wave in the overall design. This will be able to be hung in a long arrangement with some longer/narrower elements, or a square format with the same assymetries. I'll show you the possibilities when the foursome is complete.

Some more delicious greys from the previous week. I have since put in a haze of warm red. I don't know what this one is about yet or where it's going. It is rooted in fear: the barrage of outside voices opposing abstraction got focused onto this canvas. I did that same transmutation of feelings of aggravation at "life's little irritations" and ended up with my highest-paying painting yet. We'll see what this fear will turn into...

Jack and me napping: with some new layers of color washed onto it. I don't know what to do next with this one.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

I love reading your blog and seeing your completed paintings and work in progress, you seem to be quite prolific! Your father's sculpture is beautiful and quite abstract for one that doesn't like abstraction! You must be quietly influencing him. Love Dianne

Soul Level said...

Nice stuff! I like them all. Interesting that Limu is more, even, than semi-abstraction, but he wouldn't necessarily see that.

Anonymous said...

Listening grabbed me from the beginning. I'm interested in abstract work, but I'll admit that sometimes it makes me work harder than I want to (like now). Listening made me hear how part of a face is more interesting than the whole thing.

The sea weed is nice, too.