Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm still painting, but in an unusual phase. Mostly, I'm working small, quietly, like water trickling from a stream. Eventually I expect the bits that I've done to end up as lakes, rivers, and oceans. Time will tell. I'm doing the little stuff because I can't seem to bring myself to do the big stuff.

If there's anything I've learned about creating so far, it's to keep going, keep doing, regardless of my feelings. If I keep the momentum going, it's much easier when the flow grows to keep going than to get started again.

So, my recent mantras are:

Work quickly
Use what you have already
keep the momentum going

I'll show you the results of these thoughts as they form visually.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

The momentum is a bit like the ocean, with the tide coming in and then going out, so it is interesting that you are painting water-inspired subjects. The creative process is full the the ebb and flow and you are so right to just keep working at it.

Soul Level said...

Momentum is important in creativity. I'm finding that I have to get my fingers back into shape when i lay off guitar too long. It would be better to get in the habit of running scales, every day, even if I'm not playing.

Dianne said...

Hi Charlie, I have started a "quotes" section on my blog with a link to the originator and I would love to include this from your blog, "It's not about what I want (acceptance, popularity, big bucks ...) it's about wherever the intuition leads me".
Please let me know if you are okay with this, love Di